Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Simplicity 2508

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope everyone had a great holiday and fabulous New Year. Mine was wonderful wonderful wonderful!! I managed to get some sewing done. A few hoodies for the kids and a couple things for myself. My latest project had me almost telling my husband to go buy me a pack of Newport cigarettes to calm my nerves!! hahaha..it dealt me a fit. And it wasn't the pattern, it was the fabric I was using but it paid off. I am IN LOVE with my new coat. I have been wearing everyday this week. Time for a break from it. I don't have any pictures with me actually wearing it though. My son is the fill in photographer and he is way shorter than me so the pics didn't come out to my liking.









Fabric used: Hounds tooth print that I think is some type of rayon blend but I am not sure. It unravels like crazy. It is almost like a yarn. It is really thick too. I had major issues sewing the buttonholes and some of the other areas because it is thick and in conjunction with having interfacing and lining, it was rough but I managed to work with it. I did not have enough of the fabric to use as facings so I used some black rayon fabric I had and it was a blessing in disguise because using the same material for the facing would of made this impossible to sew. I used purple flannel back satin for the lining and I am telling you this coat is so warm. We have had 20 degree temps here and it is barely bothering me at all.

Complexity of pattern: This is probably advanced beginner or intermediate. I had no issues what so ever it was mainly the fabric. I made the view that is shown in white on the envelope.

How long did it take to complete: TOO LONG!!! I can't really access this pattern because of all the issue I had with the fabric but I worked on it for 2 days pretty much all day and into the evening.

Overall Review: I love it!! The button detail and collar are my favorite. This has to be one of my favorite pieces that I have made if not the favorite.

12 comments:

Joyce in NC said...

Great looking coat! I'd like to see you wearing the coat. You did a great job on your new coat.

gwensews said...

I heart that coat! The houndstooth is awesome. Love it-please send it to me at once! BTW, you mentioned Newport cigarettes. Funny, that was the first cigarette I smoked, many, many years ago at age 16. I haven't smoked for several years now, but I remember those Newports!

Faye Lewis said...

That is so beautiful!

Adrienne said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ADORE HOUNDSTOOTH. ok caps off now lol.

Queeny20 said...

Go head girl. I still need to pull my machine out of the box. LOL Happy New Year!!! Q

Karol's Kraft Korner said...

Love the coat! . . and mine was Kool's . . oh many a project I was tempted to go back . . . :)

prashant said...

You did a great job on your new coat.

Work from home India

Cennetta said...

Happy New Year to you. I see you are off to a great start. Love the chic houndstooth coat. This is a versatile pattern that I planning to use again and again.

QueenSH said...

Thanks ladies..I was just joking about the cigarettes. I have never smoked a day in my life but I thought maybe if I had one it would calm my nerves cause I didn't think wine would do the trick hahahahahaha

Jada said...

That is a fabulous COAT!

Unknown said...

You did a great job. Would you mind sharing where you got that fabric?

Unknown said...

You did a great job. Would you mind sharing where you got that fabric?